STROKE–Know Your Brain
• Americans paid about $73.7 billion in 2010 for stroke-related medical costs and disability
• On average every 4 minutes someone dies of stroke
• A leading cause of long-term disability among adults in the U.S.
• #4 cause of death among adults in the U.S.
• Kills 128,000 people a year. That’s about one of every 19 deaths
• Every 40 seconds someone has a stroke
• About 795,000 Americans each year suffer a new or recurrent stroke
• About 40% of stroke deaths occur in males
• About 60% of stroke deaths occur in females
• 80% can be prevented
• More than 62,000 visits per day on heart.org and strokeassociation.org
• 329 Join our Facebook communities every day
• Join our conversation every day at facebook.com/AmericanHeart
• Lowering your systolic by 20 mmHg and lowering your diastolic blood pressure by 10 mmHg may decrease your risk of stroke and ischemic heart disease by about 50%
• The American Heart Association recommends a daily limit of
1500 mg of sodium.
Statistics from the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association, World Health Organization, and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention