It’s baaack! Summer, that is. Yes, it’s the season for less clothes and more skin! But regardless if you plan on strutting around in a bikini or speedo or parka this summer, it’s still important to live a healthy lifestyle. Below are some tips to help keep you as healthy as possible this season!
- Wear Sunscreen: A nice “healthy glow” might be the “in” thing these days, but skin cancer is not. Apply sunscreen thirty minutes before going out in the sun, before swimming and before sweating to ensure it’s thoroughly absorbed into your skin. Don’t forget to reapply!
- Drink Plenty of Water: How much is enough water? You should consume 96 ounces of water per day. However, if you live in a warmer client, are exercising and/or sweating and during the summer months, you should increase your water intake, consuming 20 ounces for every pound of fluid lost. “Fluid loss of 2% of body weight adversely affects circulatory function and performance.” – National Academy of Sports Medicine (NASM)
- Eat For Fuel: Eat 4-6 small meals a day. It will help control hunger, minimize blood sugar fluctuations and increase energy levels throughout the day. – NASM. Opt for fresh fruits and vegetables and you will help your body stay hydrated as well, since they contain a large percentage of water. Eating healthy foods will help your body function optimally, thus leading to a healthier you!
- Ditch Fast Food: It’s heavy. It weighs you down. It disrupts your digestive organs. It makes you sweat more. It makes you gain weight. It clogs your arteries. It raises blood pressure. It makes you feel icky… need I go on?
- Move! I don’t mean hire a moving company and leave the city, I mean move your body! Whatever that means to you—just move! Check out 7 Easy Ways To Get Moving! for ideas on how to incorporate more movement into your everyday life! It will get your blood pumping, increase energy levels, increase your mood and you might even lose a little weight in the process!
- Get Plenty of Rest: Getting enough sleep is essential to staying healthy. Shoot for 6-8 hours of sleep every night. Your body and mind will thank you for it!
- Have Fun: This is a fantastic time of year! Everyone is outside enjoying the warm air, there is extended hours of daylight, the kids are out of school—take advantage of it. I say this often, but it’s so true—you only live once, so get out there and enjoy yourself!
Peace, love and a healthy summer,
Melissa Villamizar, CPT